"What Is His Relationship With Pak": Smriti Irani Targets Rahul Gandhi

Bakec

"What Is His Relationship With Pak": Smriti Irani Targets Rahul GandhiCongress's Rahul Gandhi has shifted to Raebareli, leaving Amethi to family loyalist and leader KL Sharma. But he was the opponent that's being targeted by the BJP's Union minister Smriti Irani -- the sitting MP of Amethi, who is hoping for another term.

Speaking at a rally today, Ms Irani targeted Mr Gandhi over the recent comments in his support from a leader in Pakistan.

"Till now I used to contest against Congress candidate, but now a Pakistani leader has said Smriti Irani should be defeated," Ms Irani said to loud cheers.

"I thought 'You cannot handle Pakistan, you are worrying about Amethi?'... If my voice is reaching the Pakistani leader, I want to say that this is the Amethi where Prime Minister Modi has built a factory of AK 203 rifle, that rifle is used to kill Pakistani terrorists on the border," she added.

Then came the attack on Mr Gandhi. "Today I want to ask, 'What is this relationship of Pakistan with Rahul Gandhi called? Elections are going on in the country but you (Rahul Gandhi) are getting support abroad, and did not condemn it," she added.

Last week, former Pakistan minister Chaudhry Fawad Hussain had praised Rahul Gandhi in a post on social media. Mr Gandhi since then, has been targeted by the BJP on this issue. Most leaders, starting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, had questioned his "Pakistan connection".

Last week, PM Modi had alleged a partnership between the Congress and Pakistan, saying it now stands "fully exposed".

"You must have come to know that a Pakistani leader is offering prayers for the Congress. Pakistan is impatient to make Shehzada (Rahul Gandhi) the prime minister... And we know that the Congress is a disciple of Pakistan,"he had said.